If you have ever driven IH-35 in Round Rock around dusk, you may have encountered this big cloud of flying objects – kinda reminiscent of the Smoke Monster from Lost (yes, I LOVED that show). These are the bats of Round Rock. They are mesmerizing and beautiful and I always get caught watching them and not the road. I’m actually amazed that our cloud of bats doesn’t cause accidents, they are that distracting.
Tips to see the Bats in Round Rock
- Best seen at dusk, March thru November
- Park in the Napa Auto Parts Store parking lot (I called to verify and the store would prefer that you come after business hours to park in their lot, which is 7 PM.)
- Bring blankets or chairs to sit on the lawn of the Napa Auto Parts (They are fine with that)
- Watch your little ones – it is still a busy intersection
- Don’t go under the underpass to see them – respect their “home” plus you’d be in traffic