According to TXDOT and Mobility 35, three highway construction projects will affect traffic on I-35 for the next year and will take place at locations including FM 1431, FM 3406, and US 79. A description of the construction and the timelines are highlighted below.
We know you’ve got to get where you need to go. As our cranes and trucks move into this stretch of I-35, we’re committed to being a good neighbor to nearby property owners and drivers. We understand it can be tough on everyone when construction starts, which is why we’re doing everything we can to minimize impacts and keep you informed.
Select from the projects below to learn more about what’s happening in your area. Visit My35.org to learn more about projects in development or in other parts of the state.
I-35 FROM US 79 TO SH 45 NORTH
New braided ramps (where one ramp crosses over the other) are being constructed along the northbound I-35
main lanes between Hester’s Crossing and RM 620 to eliminate merging conflicts. The northbound and southbound intersections of US 79 and the I-35 frontage roads are also being reconstructed to add a third left-turn for westbound US 79.
- Phase 1: (currently in this phase)
- Improving US 79/I-35 intersection
- Constructing temporary entrance/exit ramps at RM 620 and Hester’s Crossing
- Constructing new braided ramps between SH 45N and RM 620
- Phase 2:
- Tying new ramps into I-35 mainlanes
- Phase 3:
- Final paving
- Construction cost: $28.1 million (State Proposition 1)
- Construction start: July 2016
- Anticipated construction completion: Winter 2018/2019, weather permitting
I-35 AT FM 3406
Closures are weather permitting and updated on Tuesday and Fridays.
- Southbound I-35 left lane closed underneath FM 3406 bridge
- 9 p.m. Tuesday, March 7 to 5 a.m. Thursday, March 9
- Northbound I-35 left lane closed underneath FM 3406 bridge
- 9 p.m. Wednesday, March 8 to 5 a.m. Thursday, March 9
- Northbound I-35 right lane and auxiliary lane closed underneath FM 3406 bridge
- 9 p.m. Thursday, March 9 to 5 a.m. Friday, March 10
- Construction cost: $12.4 million
- Construction start: March 2017
- Anticipated construction completion: Spring 2019, weather permitting
I-35 FROM RM 1431 TO FM 3406 (SOUTHBOUND)
Two ramps on the southbound I-35 frontage roads between RM 1431 and FM 3406 are being reconstructed and reversed to address traffic congestion and improve I-35 frontage road and mainlane operations.
- No scheduled lane closures this week. Check back for updates.
- Friday, March 3 to Friday, March 10
- Construction cost: $9.2 million (State Proposition 1)
- Construction start: November 2016
- Anticipated construction completion: Spring 2018, weather permitting