Last Spring, the Play for All Abilities Park opened up on the east side of Round Rock, introducing families to a whole new way of play…for everyone!
This is not your typical swings-&-slide-park we grew up with. This park is amazing.
The creators & developers of the Play for All Abilities Park have hit on something special. The mission of the park is to provide a safe, fun place to play and develop new skills for children of all abilities. The 51,000 square feet park is intended for play as well as for therapy and learning.
The Play for All Abilities Park has an amazing history, taking a community-wide effort to allow it to come to fruition in a little over 5 years. What impressed me the most is the 30+ member Design Task Force included parents & professionals familiar with working with children of special needs. It was their input that brought this amazing place together.
Some things I Like?
– The entire park is completely fenced in, giving the mom watching 3 little ones a bit more comfort.
– There are tons of large oak trees, providing a great deal of shade.
– Where trees are not available, there are coverings over many of the play areas.
– There are a few picnic tables, but ample shaded areas to throw a blanket down for a picnic.
Some Things I Love?
– The “mini-Round Rock”. There is a precious pint-sized town for little ones to ride their bikes, shop at the H.E.B., and look inside the Fire Station.
– The Sand Pod & Sensory Wall – featuring textures to feel, opposites to discover, and sand-sifting stations.
– The details – so many fun things for the little ones to play with – hands-on puzzles, kaleidoscopes, music makers, and much more.
– Cool, new toys to play on – ones you don’t expect to find at the park – amazing swings, “Sway”-ing boats, a spinning merry-go-round.
Know what I love the most? This park is for every child….no matter what their abilities are, everyone can play here. There is something for everyone. Ramps, low to the ground play-scapes, and swings to accommodate wheel-chairs enable a fun, safe environment for all abilities to enjoy.
The City of Round Rock and their various, local business partners have hit a home run with this one. I am thrilled with this amazing park and can’t wait to spend all spring there!
Play for All Abilities Park:
Location: 151 North A.W. Grimes Round Rock, TX
Hours: 6 am – midnight
Recommended Time: 1 hour
Good to know: Don’t follow GPS instructions to get there – there is a new entrance to get to the park off A.W. Grimes (right near the Railroad Track Bridge); bring bikes/trikes to ride in the Mini Township only
Other Great Parks in Round Rock: